Saturday, January 31, 2009

My addiction 1/09

So, I have an addictive personality. My mother always warned me to stay away from any kind of addictive substances when I was growing up. She truly believes addiction is a genetic trait, and boy do we have some problems in the genealogy. So me being a "good girl" I did just that!

She never warned me of the computer though! Maybe because there was no such thing as internet, digital cameras, email, blogs and facebook! We bought a laptop last January and my husband often rues that day. I used to be just an email junkie, checking it, I don't know how many times a day, then my sister in law Stephanie introduced me to blogging. Oh boy, things really got started then, I don't follow any blogs of people I don't know, so therefor I have some control over my habit. Right? But then Claryce suggested that I sign up for FACEBOOK! Oh my, I have lost all control. I check it every spare minuet! What a time burner. And yet I love it. I have found people I have missed for years, I communicate with people I see weekly, I have made friends with people I barely knew in high school. It is amazing and somehow makes me a happier person. Now my husband on the other hand does not get it! He is wondering if his wife has turned into some kind of "voyeur" or something. He worries that I'm out there flirting with all my high school boyfriends (?), he obviously didn't' know me back then! And yet he must love me because he has not shut off the Internet! Not yet, anyway.
This is just an example of the links I have gone to. With this new addiction I spend lots of time sitting in my reclining seat on the sectional. Which has not helped my battle with the expanding waistline. In January I recommitted myself to exercising. The problem is that it interfered with my addiction to electronics. i.e the Internet and TV. So I got creative and found a way to feed the habit by bungeeing the laptop on the treadmill. It works pretty darn well and I have watched a few episodes and NCIS on it as well as done my banking and other things while working out!
But the big question is how will I deal with this addiction as time goes by???
Only time will tell.

3 comments:

Marcie Ashton said...

Hey Shawna,
I'm so glad you checked out my blog. Feel free anytime, and I hope you don't mind if I check in on yours as well. I sure have grown to love your sisters here in SJ. They are as amazing as you are!

And PS-I enjoy the fact that you like run on sentences. . .I think that is the only kind I can write as well!

Julie said...

AWESOME idea! Now I just need to get a treadmill & a laptop...I lost mine when I quit my job.

Glad you put a note on your FB to check this out...I kept meaning to ask you what your blog address was & then you left a comment & I meant to link onto you...NOW I'll do it & have to check YOU out every day!!! (More internet crack!)

Shayla Taylor said...

Shawna, I got to your blog from Rachel's and I am totally cracking up at this post. I love your creativity--you should patent it. :)

Shayla Anderson Taylor