We have a little Red Breasted Sparrow Couple (not sure what kind of sparrow it is but the male has a pretty red head and breast) that decided to use my Winter Wreath on the front door screen as a Nest. The poor little birds, they must have been too in LOVE to be thinking straight, with 6 people in this family and being tax season, our front screen door opens and closes MANY times a day! Each time the door opens, away they fly, just to come back again and try to incubate their little EGGS.
Finally out of pity I made the risky decision to move the wreath, hoping that it would not break apart in transit or just as sad, be abandon. The hardest part was deciding where to move it to. Out of desperation I moved it to our garage entry door. Locking the door and telling everyone to use the front door. (After spend a year trying to get everyone to use the garage door!)
Amazingly, the birds returned to the nest and are trying to salvage there little brood. There were four eggs but I found one in the wreath and when I tried to retrieve it it fell and broke. I almost cried. After thinking about how it could have gotten where I found it I decided it must have bounced out of the nest one morning with one of Jakob's house rattling slamming of the screen. He seems to believe that if he slams the difficult to latch screen door that it will close better. It does not. But apparently it can knock little eggs plumb out of the safety of their nests!
I suppose all there is to do now is to wait and see if we get any baby birds in our winter wreath or if the little eggs got too cold with their parents having to fly away to safety every time the door opened.
2 comments:
How interesting! That's my favorite sign of spring (certainly not the wind). I love when the birds come back. Hope they survive.
How cool! they are brave little buggers, to nest right in front of the house.
Post a Comment