Sunday, October 10, 2010

Jake's Driver's Licence 9/16/10

YEA!!!!!!!!!! He finally has that wonderful little piece of plastic that his mother has been dreaming about for a few years now!
Being a mother of 4 children with a very busy schedule I have been VERY much looking foreword to when Jake would be able to get his licence to drive.
I was very diligent to make sure that he could get it on his 16th birthday. I even planned our AZ New Years trip so that we could stop at the DMV on the way and Jake could get his permit so as to have it exactly 6 month's before his birthday. But the best laid plans of mice and men...
The first bump was Drivers Ed. The State of NV required that the kids take it even though it is not offered in our school. Me being the experienced person that I am told Jake that he needed to get that online coarse going right away so he would have it all done by his birthday. He being a know it all teenager procrastinated, since he was sure it would be a really quick class and there was no need to hurry.
Of course I was correct! It turned out that the online course was a 30 hour course and in order to make sure of it there was a timer on each web page that would not move on until the alloted time. He was so aggravated but it was what it was.
Secondly, I told him when he started the course that he needed to call the DMV and find out how long the wait time would be for the driving test. He being the 16 year old he was, waited until the course was complete, paid for the fast shipping of the course certification, and then called the DMV to find out that there was a 6 week waiting list! UGH!
In the mean time, I was having to drive to the high school, 10 min one way, 4 times a day most of the summer! 6 am to take Maddie to dance and then pick her up and then 6pm to take Jake to soccer and then pick him up. It got REALLY old.
But, that is now over with and I am a VERY happy mama!
Jake filling out all of the paper work.
I had him do it all pretty much on his own, while I sat back behind him in the waiting area ( about 4 ft behind him). I was there if he needed me but I like giving my children a chance to do things themselves. My idea is that it will not be too much longer until they have to do EVERYTHING on their own. They might as well get some experience while I am close enough to help if they need it. I think this threw the DMV gal though. She got kind of ornery with him and I was pretty nervous that she was not going to pass him. Our DMV people are notorious in this area for not passing the kids on the first try!
But he did just fine! Well, actually he slid by with the bare minimum score, but that was enough so we are happy.
Him driving HIMSELF to practice that night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A proud moment.
The beginning of a long, hopefully SAFE, driving experience.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

My daughter just wrecked my car....but everyone is ok which is all that matters. It is really nice to have a extra driver around to help take kids here and there. The best part is they are so willing when they first start to do that! COngrats to you and your son!

mommafar said...

Such a bittersweet time, I loved having an eager driver in the house, but it moves them closer to graduation too. The kids look great, I can't believe how fast they are growing up!

Marcie Ashton said...

Yea! It is so great to have another driver in the family. Since Cade moved and Syd is only 15, I am really missing having someone to send to the store and to run my errands.