Roger and Jake are going to be going on a a 50 mile Scout hike in Yosemite Park in June. Roger has been doing some hiking to get ready for it and last weekend he went and picked up his pack and a few supplies. While I lounged in one of the display chairs while waiting for him I found some awesome hiking trail books. Roger and I have always enjoyed hiking and we have decided to start going out together as a family at least twice a month.

Last Friday evening we headed out to Wadsworth, about 10 miles away to have a picnic dinner and try out Roger's full pack. We found a great spot looking over the Truckee River to have dinner.

I thought this would be a fun shot of the families shadows. My, how we have grown!

Jake took turns carry the other kids as they tired out. He has Sam here and then...

Luke. Luke was not to sure about it and just wanted DOWN!

We had read that there was a trail being developed following the Truckee River from it's beginning at Lake Tahoe all the way down to it's outlet into Pyramid Lake. Since we are just a few miles from the Truckee we diced to go check it out in Wadsworth. It was a bit of an adventure to say the least. Wadsworth is on the Paiute Indian Reservation to begin with and we don't know the area very well. So we got out there and started looking for the trail head which we found pretty easily so we parked and started off. Six white people walking down the road in the middle of the Res... Just a little uncomfortable. The trial marker started on the pavement but we figured we would hit dirt within a few minuets but no, we went for a mile through the back roads of town and finally sent Jake back to drive the Yukon down to where the road ended. So again we parked and then decided to have dinner over looking the river. As we started out again we realized that where we had parked was only a road closure (the cliff was shearing off into the river!) and picked up again for another few miles again. Finally we came to the dirt. But by then the little boys we tired and it was getting close to dark. So we let the kids play around a bit and then headed back. Next time we will drive right to the dirt and start from there! :)

Where the pavement ends.

Cute Maddie girl.

Mom and Maddie

Mom and Dad

Madisyn getting her ride.

Pretty funny!
We all had a wonderful time. We so easily could have stayed home in front of the TV and missed such a beautiful evening. I was musing as I walked down the road watching my family what a wonderful life I have and how HAPPY I was at that moment.
3 comments:
Gorgeous pictures!
Sounds like a great adventure! It's the kind of thing the kids will remember for years. Thanks for sharing the moment and the pictures!
Cool! I think that's great you all are going to get out more with this. Are you going to give geocaching a whirl with the hikes? :-) I just got a backpack carrier for the baby and am trying to do more (shorter) hikes with the boys!
Love the pic of you and Maddie!
Post a Comment