Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Wall

Things are really starting to move along. This weekend we went and picked out the tile for our counter tops and bought the wood flooring we are going to use in the dining room and kitchen. Jake and Roger spent two long nights and were able to get all of the drywall hung. Including where we took down part of the wall and made a mess on the ceiling, as well as where we took out the stove pipe. It turned out to be quite a project, mainly because the archway that connects the two walls is at an angle. It was a mess to drywall and a big hassle for the mudder today. Speaking of which the drywall mudder came this morning and worked for 7 hours filling all of the great holes and gaps that we had all over the room. He also is fixing some cracks he found as well as some old very unsightly repairs that were not done very well the first time. While he is at it we are having him round out the peak of the vaulted ceiling a little bit. It had come to a point in the middle but it was very uneven and quite an eyesore. -In our opinion anyway. It took the guy, Jeramey, awhile to it all but it looks really good. He is optimistic that they may be able to spray the texture on tomorrow which will mean I can starting painting Thursday. Yea me!!! I'm staring to run very low on energy but I just keep telling myself that we are getting down to the cool stuff now and are almost done. I called on the carpet and it should be here tomorrow, so I'm going to go ahead and schedule the installers for the end of next week. Hopefully we will be ready for them. I have so many "little jobs" painting projects that I need to do like the base boards and doors, but I don't know if I'll get to them or not by then.(not the best time for all the kids to be out of school) The painting I have to get done is the ceilings and walls of the kitchen, dining room and family room so we can put the wood floors in and install the cabinets.

Yesterday I was also able to get the carpet and pad pulled out of the dining room as well as get all of the staples that were used on pad pulled up. Man what a job that was! Then Jake and I unloaded and brought in the wood flooring. There were 21 boxes. Jake was not a happy camper since he had to bring in most of them. It seems like an awful lot of flooring, I'm hoping I will be able to take some of it back when we are done. It is very beautiful. It is the Thomasville Jotoba Hardwood engineered wood flooring from Home Depot. The nice thing is that the top layer of wood is thick enough that if you wanted to it could be sanded and refinished up to three times. It comes with a gorgious finsih though so I doubt we would want to do anything like that, but it is nice to have the option. Also, it hopefully means that this flooring will hold up to the test of time. It has a 30 year warranty but after reading it I was not all that impressed. It had so many exclusions that I'm not really sure what is warrentable. Jake, Roger and Luke. My hard working crew!


View from the dining room.


Last night at midnight when we were starting to finish up I started having builders remorse. I am praying that this wall idea of mine it not going to turn out to be one of those armature remodel "project gone wrong" stories!! Sometimes I think it is really neat and other times I wonder what I was thinking to go and close in the room like that, as well as, if the lower wall height was the right decision. Does it look good or does it look strange and out of place. I guess only time will tell.

No comments: